Welcome to the Cleveland Family History Society. Here you can see the South Durham and North Yorkshire area of North East England covered by our group.
PLEASE NOTE that many libraries and museums referenced in the right hand column could be closed or working different hours until the current lockdown ends at the beginning of December. Please ring any relevant library if you need to find out more.
Why join Cleveland Family History Society?
As a member you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Our packed quarterly Journal
- Access to our website Members’ Area with free resources and surname database.
- Connect with other members researching the same names as you.
- Vast collection of online parish registers, burial data base etc.
- Free simple searches and advice about the area from local experts
- Free attendance at Branch Meetings in Hartlepool and Sedgefield (hopefully to resume in 2021)
Quick links to pages of interest
- News & Events– Keep up to date with the latest announcements.
- Society Meetings – Venues, dates and times.
- Membership – Join Cleveland FHS or renew your membership.
- E-Shop – See full range of publications to buy online.
- Surname Database – Search the database to see names being researched by others.
- Burial Database – Have a search carried out for burials within the Cleveland FHS area.
- Parishes – List of parishes within the Cleveland FHS area.
- Know Your Parish – places that have been researched by members and submitted for publication in journals, which may provide useful snippets to find the information you are looking for.
- Hearth Tax Assessments, Durham, Glaisdale, Redcar, Whitby (members only) – lists of those assessed for Hearth Tax in parts of Co Durham and North Yorkshire.
- All Journal back numbers from 1980 (members only)
Want to know more?
If you have enquiries, please send us an email through our Contact Us page.
Or you can find out more in our About Us page.
Cleveland FHS is a member of the Family History Federation www.familyhistoryfederation.com